Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

GLUTEN FREE DAIRY FREE TYPE 1 DIABETES

03/10/2012

It was about 4 or 5  years ago that I was diagnosed with  Celiac disease,and I am also a type 1 diabetic.
My diabetes is in pretty good shape My A1C'S which are your blood sugar levels for three months are always in normal ranges.  My A1C's are between 6.2 to 6.7
I discovered a unique discovery I stopped using dairy in my diet and began drinking Almond milk.  I am on the heavy side
Almost immediately I began to feel thinner, I have only been doing this for about a month but I  have lost now 10 lbs just by doing this change in my diet.  I am also watching what I am eating but no real changes.
Since using the Almond Milk I use the Almond Breeze Vanilla Milk.  My insulin levels have dropped significantly.
I am on an insulin pump, I use the Animas Ping Pump.  Before using the Almond Milk my basal dosage ( which is the insulin I use to make my blood sugars work without eating any food) my insulin dosage for the basal rate was about 70 units per day , now it is 39 units per day.  This is totally  amazing to me.  I have never had my insulin levels this low.  I went on line and sure enough it was even there saying that if you are a diabetic your insulin levels might drop by using Almond Milk in your diet.
If my insulin levels are normal between 80 and 90 and I am about to eat a meal I have to be careful how much insulin I use.  The old saying less is more.  I can not believe this change in my appearance since I dropped the dairy in my diet and have adopted using almond milk in my diet.  Another trick  I do for high blood sugars is to take about 2 table spoons of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar followed by a glass of water.  This really helps me with lowing my blood sugar and majority of the time I do not need to take extra insulin but of course sometimes I do still but it really helps. You do have to be care ful at least for me it really lowers my blood sugars rapidly.
I hope this information helps you , please look more into this and consult your doctor but this has really helped me out

Thank you

Ellen Gaffney
thegcats@comcast.net
 

No comments:

Post a Comment